Sharing a bit of information that could help someone sometime. If you’ve a VMWare environment, you may need to set license for your Esxi hosts. This could be done with the help of vsphere client as well as using command line. Let us find out how this can be done in both the ways..
1. Through vsphere client
1. Select an Esxi host that you want to set the license key
2. Click on Configuration tab and licensed keys. This will list your current license key.
3. If you want to set a new one, click on Edit on the same page which will allow you to add the new license.
Now, in a scenario where you are accessing vcenter server, and you want to set a single license for multiple Esxi hosts, then you need to do it another way as mentioned below.
1. Click on Administration -> Licensing and select License Key
2. It will list all license keys and the Esxi hosts that use those. Clicking Manage vsphere licenses allows you to change your license keys, if needed.
2. Through command line
Open putty and connect to the Esxi host. Now type
vim-cmd vimsvc/license –show –> For displaying the current license.
vim-cmd vimsvc/license —set XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX –> For setting the new license.
Happy Licensing 😉